Sulfur Dioxide in Food

We know that Sulfur Dioxide is poisonouos gasses but why this substance can found in food. Is this good to eat? Sulfur dioxide is one of sulfite, a preservative whose name might be more familiar, that is why this substance can be available inside the food usually preservative food.

A small amount of sulfite can wreak health havoc of you're sensitive to it. If we have asthma, sulfite sensitivity or sulfite allergy, eating dried fruits might cause serious health problems, including breathing problems.

Dried fruits are among the food highest in sulfites, with raisins and prunes containing between 500 to 2000 ppm, compare to wine that may contain sulfites only 20 to 350 ppm. As the regulation of US Food and Drug Administration mandates that foods containing more than 10 ppm of sulfites must list this information on the food label. Each countries have different standard of sulfite contain in food, Australian government limits sulfite in food to 3000 ppm, while British government limits sulfites in food to 2000 ppm, according to the food intolerance network.

Sulfites are inorganic salts and not contain protein that cause true allergic reactions to foods. Food itself contain a small amount of protein and can cause a true allergic reaction. If you get asthma like symptoms, hives, facial swelling or a rash after eating dried fruits, you may allergy to that food rather than sulfite sensitivity. A sulfite reaction can cause symptoms very similar to allergic reaction, such as wheezing and difficult breathing.

To avoid sulfites in dried fruit, choose organic brands that don't use preservatives including sulfur dioxide on the product.


Popular posts from this blog

Soda or Sodium Carbonate

Chromic Acid

Viscose Fiber Production Process

Find Other Articles Here: